Monday, November 1, 2010

Quick update and some pictures!

We just hit 8 months (can you believe it??) and Julia has added some new tricks to her repertoire. She now stands almost immediately using anything she can to pull herself up. She's not sure what to do once she gets there, but the wheels are in motion in her little head and we're sure that she's going to start perambulating soon!
She is still working on the solid food thing, and despite a few setbacks that were due either to an adverse reaction to her flu shot or to peas and resulted in the changing of sheets on her crib, she is getting the hang of eating from a spoon. So far, peas and green beans are on the NO list. She has seemed to like everything else up to this point, however.
Climbing up Mount St. Mommy. When she was a teeny tiny baby, she would nudge her way up Mount St. Daddy. Not that there is anywhere to go once she gets there!

This was one of her 7 month pictures (and the caption would read "Hello!"). This should be an 8 month picture, but we spent the entire weekend rearranging the downstairs to be more child-friendly. This included swapping the living room with the den. We love the new arrangement and it is much better (and safer) for her.
Here is Julia's first "bean" picture in Chicago in September. Mommy, Steve and Lisa are standing behind with our heads cut off.


Here we are bundled up for Apple Fest with Grandma O. in Bayfield. We thought it was going to be cold so we were prepared for the worst. When we got there, however, it was clear and sunny and we all ended up shedding a few layers!



Julia with her cousins Olivia and Lauren.


Otherwise, we are at the crawling stage. She doesn't crawl quite like those babies you see on TV, though. She uses one knee and the other foot. So it's hand/knee, hand/foot and resembles a crab more than a baby most of the time. She is also talking a lot, and when I say "mama" to her, she says "dada" back to me. That is just plain mean! I know that it's easier for her to make the "da" sound, but still, I'd LOVE to hear "mama" at some point soon.

A few updates on past postings:

Sleep.

To sum up: I'm glad I'm not in charge of guarding nuclear missiles or anything central to national security because the new mother sleep deprivation that I hoped would be gone by now is still here (and here to stay, apparently!). No, she's still not sleeping through the night. A woman at work said that people who claimed to have babies that slept through the night were all lying. I don't think they were ALL lying, but I think that parents who are so lucky should keep it to themselves a little longer! Just kidding. A few people have confided that their kids never slept through the night until almost a year or even later. Many others have said that various things would spark longer sleep: hitting 3-4 months, eating solid food, etc. With Julia, however, none of those things has had ANY impact on how long or how well she sleeps. We started putting her to bed earlier and sticking to a more stringent nap schedule, but we're just not getting the sleep out of her that we so desperately want. She still gets up 2-3 times per night, and I am not sure she will ever sleep more than 2-3 hours at a stretch. I would be more inclined to not check on her and let her go back to sleep if I hadn't encountered dirty diapers lately. If I had that kind of mess in my drawers in the middle of the night, I'd cry too!

The Rash.

The rash is 98 percent gone. I'd say 100 percent except when socks or waistbands are too tight, it reappears in those places, or when I'm stressed or nervous, a few spots show up. I still have a few itchies now and then, but I'm so glad to know that the rash is just there during the pregnancy and even though it was awful to be so painfully itchy and not be able to sleep (for a different reason than now), it's nice to know it's gone (for now!).

Otherwise, we just braved the first real snowstorm of the year (about 8 inches at our house). The snow by itself wouldn't have been so bad, but the power was knocked out for most of the day yesterday. Luckily they had it back on by late afternoon, so it was just a brief adventure in modern-day roughing it. The snow seems to have got the birds in the backyard very excited. The cardinals have reappeared but I can't wait to see the woodpeckers, which should be coming to dine on the suet block we put out this afternoon.

Keep warm and take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment